Family Law Services
If you are dealing with a divorce, you know how taxing the process can be, particularly when children are involved. The lawyers at Brian Walker Law Firm PC in Battle Ground, Washington are authorities in family law, whether it’s child custody or parental rights. Brian Walker Law PC has a reputation for winning cases and finding the best settlements.
Child custody will always be decided dependent on the happiness of the child and sometimes these decisions are quite painful for parents to make.
The child’s best interest is decided based on the subsequent points:
- The child’s age, gender, mental and physical health
- Health of parents
- Lifestyle and social factors
- Love and emotional ties between parent and child
- Parents’ capacity to produce food, shelter, clothing and medical care
- Caliber of schools in location
- Child’s inclination if over age 12
- Capability and willingness of parent to nurture a good relationship between child and another parent
- Environmental security
Types of custody arrangements
- Legal custody: The right and obligation to make choices about raising the child. This involves education, religion, medical care and discipline. When given joint legal custody, parents share these rights.
- Physical custody: The ability of a parent to have a child with him or her. Most courts order joint physical custody, though the time-split is often not the same as 50/50.
- Sole Custody: Sole custody settlements provide one parent with complete custody privileges and permit the other only visitation rights.
- Joint custody: This custody permits parents to synchronize their schedules and share decision-making responsibility.
- Bird’s nest custody: This happens when the child lives in one home and parents alternate in and out of the home and take turns caring for the child.
Child support is a pre-determined sum of money that is usually paid monthly to the partner who retains primary custody of the child. Child support is designed for basic provisions like food, housing and clothing, health insurance medical care and educational costs. Child support is decided based on each parent’s monthly income and costs. Focused on this financial information and the expanse of time each parent dedicates to the child, the court uses a formula to allocate child support.
If you are divorcing on the foundation of physical or verbal maltreatment, you can shelter yourself and your children with safety and restraining orders from Brian Walker Law Firm PC. These orders keep you disconnected from the abuser in order to stay unharmed. Though a protective order can’t fully eliminate the potential that someone will stalk or hurt you, it will permit you to call the police and have the abuser arrested should they contravene the binding rules of the order.
This typically discusses a parent’s privilege to make decisions regarding a child’s education, health care and religion. Determining rights and accountabilities can be difficult, especially when it comes to the parental liability of any detrimental or criminal behaviors of your child. You are only liable for your children’s behaviors until they are 18.