Family Law Services
Going through a divorce is a difficult ordeal in itself, but it is even more difficult when children are affected. At Brian Walker Law Firm PC, we offer our expert family law services to citizens of Washougal, Washington. From prenuptial agreements to child custody, we can guide you through any process. Brian Walker Law Firm PC has a reputation for winning cases and finding the best settlements.
Child custody will always be granted based on the well-being of the child and sometimes these decisions are very tough for parents to make.
The child’s best interest is determined by the consecutive factors:
- The child’s age, gender, mental and physical well-being
- Physical and mental well-being of parents
- Lifestyle and social influences
- Love and emotional connections between parent and child
- Parents’ capacity to produce food, shelter, clothing and medical care
- Caliber of schools in the area
- Child’s preference if over age 12
- Capacity and inclination of parent to foster a good relationship between child and other parent
- Environmental security
Types of custody arrangements
- Legal custody: The privilege and responsibility to make choices about raising the child. This includes education, religion, medical care and punishment. When bestowed joint legal custody, parents share these privileges.
- Physical custody: The ability of a parent to have a child with him or her. Most courts order joint physical custody, though the time-split is often different than 50/50.
- Sole custody: Sole custody arrangements give one parent complete custody privileges and allow the other only visitation rights.
- Joint custody: This custody allows parents to coordinate their schedules and share decision-making duties.
- Bird’s nest custody: This occurs when the child remains in one home and parents alternate in and out of the home and take turns providing the child.
Child support is a prearranged sum of money that is typically paid monthly to the partner who maintains primary custody of the child. Child support is intended for basic necessities like food, housing and clothing, health insurance medical care and educational expenditures. Child support is chosen based on each parent’s monthly income and costs. Focused on this financial evidence and the volume of time each parent gives the child, the court uses a formula to decide on child support.
Family law mediation
Family law mediation is used to resolve family conflicts. With family mediation, a neutral third party mediator helps two parties to smooth out their conflicts as they reach a settlement. Family mediation can save the parties’ time and expenditures linked with a trial, but the verdicts may not be legally necessary.
If you are divorcing on the basis of physical or verbal maltreatment, you can shelter yourself and your children with safety and restraining orders from Brian Walker Law Firm PC. These orders keep you separated from the abuser in order to stay safe. Though a protective order can’t fully eliminate the likelihood that someone will stalk or hurt you, it will permit you to contact the police and have the abuser incarcerated should they breach the mandatory precedents of the order.
This generally discusses a parent’s privilege to make choices concerning a child’s education, health care and religion. Determining rights and responsibilities can be stressful, specifically when it comes to parental accountability of any malicious or criminal behaviors of your child. You are only responsible for your children’s actions until the age of 18.
Are you deliberating adoption in order to begin or complete your family? The adoption process in Washougal can be long, difficult and frustrating, but an attorney from Brian Walker Law Firm PC can navigate your family through it. Whether you’re a couple considering adoption or a parent who desperately wants a child, we can help your dreams come true.